Sunday, March 04, 2007

Book Review: The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood


I thought I would do something a bit new and review a knitting novel I just finished. I say "review" but really, it's just my opinion and you can take it or leave it. Let me say also that prior to learning to knit, I was an avid reader. I'd read a book a day, easily. But once I learned to knit -- I didn't want to waste precious knitting time reading. Now I just read occasionally and mostly non-fiction works.

"The Knitting Circle" revolves around the story of Mary and a recent loss in her immediate family (I'll try not to give too much away). Mary joins a knitting circle in order to not deal with life and try to find something to fill the void she now feels in her life. As the book evolves, we meet the other members of the knitting circle (there are about 8) and learn about their lives.

I had several issues with this book. First, the book deals entirely with tragedy. Every single character had a significant tragedy -- the book is laden with death -- and the one character whose story ends with life is highly underplayed. Second, there was a bit (not a lot, but a bit) of sex in the book that I felt was misplaced and misused. It was like the obligatory sex scene movie makers throw in whether or not it's necessary. The book was written well, but it's not brilliant and it's certainly not the best writing available on the market.

Is the book worth reading? Maybe, but I'd choose Debbie Macombers Blossom Street books over this one in a heartbeat. The knitting theme is there, but it's certainly not cheerful. I'm sure people out there use knitting as therapy (I learned to knit while in the bouts of a serious depression), but isn't there some joy in life and in knitting??

Give it a try and let me know what you think! I'm awaiting "Friday Night Knit Club" and will let you know what I think of that as well!
Book Review: The Knitting Circle by Ann HoodSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: